Sunday, November 2, 2014

Distribution

     In a conversation between bands, distribution tends to mean that a band has signed a contract with a company that will put their music in stores. But in this digital day, there's so much more to this. We really need to do some serious research on when and how people are discovering our music. Then we need to double down on those "places" as well as get creative with new ways to expose new people. Most of my new music discovery is from people I know listening to something that catches my ear. Maybe we lower the price of our music at shows, so that more people buy, and word of mouth increases.
     Maybe it doesn't look like that at all. Maybe, like Dropbox (which I use) we make a video that will capture the attention of people that aren't necessarily looking for us. And I think that is one way that we fall short. It seems that alot of our marketing, even the part that comes from our label, is geared toward people who are looking for music like ours. This isn't bad, it just doesn't lead to great growth. I am of the opinion that the world is full of people that just don't know that they want a Nine Lashes album, yet.
     I think I'm going to post a poll on Facebook asking how our fans discovered our music.

No comments:

Post a Comment